The "Blue Flag" programme
No wonder Rabac was awarded the "Blue Flag" eco-mark in 2002.
The "Blue Flag" is an international ecological award, a programme of environmental awareness and eduction and coastal protection run by the international foundation for Environmental Education (FEE) in Europe and other parts of the world. It aims at making beaches better and safer for swimming, while, at the same time, protecting their natural environment.
Criteria of the "Blue Flag" programme
Cleanliness of sea and beach
- clean bathing water which is verified by sample measurements every fortnight during the bathing season
- no disposal of industrial and urban effluent waters without proper treatment
- sufficient number of garbage bins, which are emptied regularly
- regular cleaning of the beach and garbage collection
Beach organisation and safety of visitors
- regular information to the public about bathing water quality
- plans to meet a pollution emergency, with immediate notification to the public
- prohibition of automobiles and motorcycles on the beach
- prohibition of camping on the beach
- sufficient toilet facilities with a controlled disposal system
- trained lifeguards on duty, or immediate access to the lifesaving and first-aid equipment and a telephone in an emergency
- care for people with special needs
Protection of nature and environmental awareness
- printed information and codes of conduct for the beach and surrounding areas with sensitive natural environment, flora or fauna
- beyond just simple information, the organisation of activities which actively promote the natural environment of the beach and the need to protect it
What a visitor of the beach can do
Enjoy this beach with the "Blue Flag", but also help us preserve it in good condition.
If you are satisfied with the beach, let us know.
If you notice shortcomings, please contact the person responsible for the beach, whose name you will find on the notice board by the beach tower.
Fee - Kopenhagen, Denmark
Foundation for Environmental Education, www.blueflag.org